Kayaks are a kind of boat that is slim and small and is used by a limited number of people, often a single person at a time. In some other terms, it can also be mentioned as a canoe.
It is considered to be a sport equipment by many, as the major use of this particular boat is generally in sports and aquatic races. Various kinds of kayaks are available in the market and their designs differ with their usages.
If classified broadly, the major kinds of kayaks are – surf play kayaks, fishing, and leisure and tour kayaks often termed as ocean kayaks.
The design of kayaks is very significant to the purposes that they serve. For e.g. leisure kayak is easy for beginners, it is light in weight and can be manoeuvred easily. It is to be noted that though it’s light, it is durable enough to withstand all weather conditions.
Kayak generally comes with two cockpits for two people, as leisure is often in company and safer thus. The ocean kayaks or the tour kayaks are designed with a longer journey in mind and therefore have more capacity to store as they have a compartment for the purpose of storage as well.
These kayaks can carry supplies that would last for at least a day or two. They are relatively stronger in built and can withstand tougher conditions and violent waters.
The fishing kayaks, as the name suggests, are used for the purpose of fishing. They are more narrow and sleek in their design, thereby enabling the occupant to manoeuvre into spaces which are far tighter. Such kinds of kayaks come in two major designs. The first one has the occupant sitting on top and the other one has a cockpit for them. Both have their advantages and should be discussed with the dealer prior to buying one. This helps the person in choosing what serves their purpose best. For e.g. the first kind enables the person to move out freely and is ideal for warm waters whereas the second one if utilized correctly would be ideal for waters which although shallow, have a relatively stronger current.
Though the kayaks are often mentioned as canoes, there is a difference between the two and it features the sitting and paddling positions of the occupants. In a kayak, the paddler sit facing forward with his legs forward as well and uses a two bladed paddle. On the other hand in a canoe the paddler does sit facing forward but is in a kneeling posture and uses a single bladed paddle. Initially designed as a hunting vessel the kayaks over the years have become a major source of aquatic recreation and sports. The sport has grown in stature and multiplied into various sub branches some of which have also been inducted in to the Olympics.
The modern kayaks and ocean kayaks in particular are designed with the help of the computer aided designs or CAD and are far better than their native designs. This is not surprising considering the fact that today their use and utility has also diversified into fields not earlier imagined.
Types of Kayaks
One of the most significant differences between types of kayaks is whether they are sit-on (with a sealed hull) or sit-in (where the paddler’s lower body is inside the hull of the kayak). Both kayaks have pros and cons, depending on what conditions you are paddling in.
- Sit-In Kayak : When paddling in a sit-in kayak, your legs are enclosed within a cockpit. A spray skirt is attached, which stops water from coming in over the top. Keeping your legs dry and out of the wind will help you stay warmer, so sit-ins are typically used when you’re out on colder waters. The downside of a sit-in kayak is that if you do happen to capsize, exiting and re-entering your kayak is much more of a challenge than it is with a sit-on design. Learning how to exit and re-enter a sit-in kayak underwater requires a few lessons with an instructor. Additionally, with the space in the hull flooded, will need to bail out your kayak or paddle it to shore to drain it before you can continue
- 2. Sit-On Kayak : While a sit-in kayak keeps your legs warm and dry, getting a sit-on-top kayak means you are going to get wet. Spray from the waves, riffles, and paddle splashes will have you spending most of your time a bit damp. With this in mind, sit-on kayaks are best used in warmer temperatures and over warmer water. The benefit of a sit-on design is that it is straightforward to get on and off your kayak, like when you’re boarding or just feeling like going for a swim. It probably won’t be the most graceful thing you’ve ever done, but you can re-enter a sit-on kayak from the water.
How hard is kayaking?
Kayaking is not very hard to learn as you think. You only need a few basic skills to paddle effectively. Firstly you need a good instructor to help you learn how to enter and exit a kayak. You have to learn how to perform the forward stroke and the sweep stroke for turning the boat, and a few lessons on safety. With these skills, you are ready to go out and enjoy kayaking.
Kayaking is a great sport for any beginner to learn. Like cycling it is simple to pick up. Within a few hours you’ll be paddling. There are so many different types of kayaking – from flatwater kayaking to sea kayaking and whitewater kayaking. Here are 5 tips every kayaker should know before they get in the water for the first time.
1) Prepare your dress of water. Your cloths should be appropriate for the water not for the air temperature
2) Choose the right Kayak according to size, stability, width of the kayak. Consider all these points according to your comfort and suggestion of your guide.
3) Always wear buoyancy aid whether you are a beginner or experienced paddler.
5) Your sitting position is also important in Kayak. It will make it so much easier when you start paddle your kayak.
6) Holding of Paddle is also important. Learn how to hold it in right way. Hold the paddle with both hands just over shoulder distance apart. You can learn it on internet, there are so many guides and videos to learn the holding of paddle.
7) Before start kayaking you should learn how to rescue yourself and others when in danger.
9) If you are beginner do not kayak alone.
For detailed Instruction on How to do Kayaking : Visit here